What has Biden done regarding immigration since taking office?
Immigration has been essential for the current president of the US, Democrat Joe Bien. His administration has always emphasized the need to reform existing policies to repair the damage caused by former President Trump to the local immigration system, which, in its opinion, has long been broken.
Thus, since President Biden took office in early 2021, his team has focused heavily on revoking Trump’s restrictions and limitations to pave the way for more humane and just immigration policies.
Let’s look at some of the Biden administration’s biggest actions on the immigration system so far:
- Recently unveiled a comprehensive immigration bill, which, if passed by Congress, would almost completely change the way the US approaches immigration and foreign communities in general, including undocumented immigrants.
- Granted TPS (Temporary Protected Status) to eligible Venezuelan nationals currently residing in the US without legal documentation.
- Did not renew Trump’s restrictions on the issuance of employment-based visas and Green Cards, which were implemented amid the massive COVID-19 outbreak.
- Rescinded the MPP (Migrant Protection Protocols) or “Remain in Mexico”, and introduced an asylee resettlement plan to assist migrants affected by this policy.
- Suspended ACAs (Asylum Cooperation Agreements) with countries of the Northern Triangle of Central America, which are Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador.
- Permanently rescinded Trump’s “Zero Tolerance Policy”.
Contact Motion Law and follow the advice of our experienced attorneys during your immigration process!
Biden still has a long way to go on immigration
Although President Biden acted promptly on multiple immigration policies during his first weeks in office, his administration has received multiple criticism for certain promises that he has yet to deliver after more than three months.
In fact, according to a recent NBC News report, there are “Five major immigration promises Biden has yet to keep”. Let’s see some of them:
- Former President Trump lowered the annual refugee limit for fiscal year 2021 (October – September) to 15,000, the lowest number in recent history. President Biden promised to increase this figure to 62,500 for fiscal year 2021, a promise that he has yet to keep.
In fact, the Biden administration recently stated that it will keep Trump’s refugee cap until mid-May.
- Reunite immigrant families separated at the borders under Trump’s “Zero Tolerance Policy”. President Biden signed an executive order to create a family reunification project, but there has been no progress.
- Carry out legal proceedings to hold the Trump administration accountable for the separation of thousands of minors from their parents at the borders.
Do you want or need to keep up to date with the latest immigration news? Our Blog section is what you are looking for.
Do you need help from an experienced immigration attorney?
Aside from keeping you up to date with the latest immigration news, Motion Law’s team is highly qualified to guide you through your immigration journey in the US and provide constant accompaniment every step of the way, your satisfaction and success is our number one priority.
If you, a family member, or a friend need help with an immigration case, please contact Motion Law today to schedule a FREE Consultation with one of our expert immigration attorneys. Our team will be happy to guide you through your immigration journey in the US.
Please contact Motion Law Immigration today at: (202) 918-1799.